Stressful events – from the morning push to get out the door to managing an overflowing email inbox – increase more than just your blood pressure. Stress causes our cortisol (also known as the stress hormone) levels to rise, which in turn, causes food cravings. The strongest of those tend to be for starches and sweets. And—even worse—when you eat those off-plan foods, your mood takes a nosedive. The cortisol then triggers an enzyme in our fat cells that actually causes more belly fat! It’s a vicious cycle that we should avoid, especially when trying to lose weight.
Try these stress relieving foods:
- Asparagus – High in folate, asparagus helps you keep your cool in stressful situations. Another good source of folate? B-Slim™ Vitamin B12 Ampoules.
- Blueberries – With super high levels of the antioxidant anthocyanin, there’s no wonder why blueberries are considered a super food! Try this delicious Blueberry Custard recipe.
- Herbal Tea – Recommended for all-ages as one of the top soothers, chamomile tea is a great option for winding down, as is green tea, which contains the amino acid theanine.
- Garlic – Want to add flavor to your food plus a powerful antioxidant punch? Chop some garlic! This Spanish Garlic Fish recipe is perfect to get that extra dose of garlic into your daily meal plan.
- Oatmeal – Try the Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal for a serotonin boost. Serotonin is a “feel-good” chemical that has antioxidant properties and soothes your soul.
- Oranges – Vitamin C comes in many forms that are totally portable! From clementines to tangelos, eating an orange as a snack gives you the boost you need to keep calm and carry on.