Coming to you from the SlimGenics Kitchen at Denver Urban Gardens is another delicious recipe from Chef John! This black bean hummus is the perfect addition to a veggie tray, and is a perfect option to keep on hand when those salty cravings hit.
Try doubling the recipe for a healthy side to serve at your holiday parties, or pack a single serving container to send with your kids as a healthy school lunch option.
Healthy Black Bean Hummus Recipe
- 1 pound dried organic black beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Morton® Lite Salt
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Bragg® Liquid Aminos (optional)
Soak black beans in cold water for 1–2 hours. Drain in colander.
Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil, add beans and the next 7 ingredients through bay leaves. Simmer 1½ hours or until beans are tender.
Remove from stove and cool slightly. Place beans in a food processor or blender and add enough of the cooking liquid to purée into a smooth paste.
Remove and place into a bowl. Fold in cilantro and Bragg® Liquid Aminos. Adjust seasonings as desired and refrigerate until cool.
Serve with raw vegetables, pita bread and your favorite salad items, or with tortilla chips and salsa.
Makes 14 servings