Steak and Potatoes: A New Take
Half the fun of healthy eating is finding new and exciting ways to cook old favorites. Kind of makes us feel like our very own Iron Chef! Today we have a contemporary take on Steak and Potatoes that absolutely packs in the flavor without sacrificing your waistline. Served with a chilled glass of ice tea, this meal is pretty darn near perfect if we say so ourselves.
Herb Crusted Cube Steak
Makes 2 Servings | 1 Protein, 1 Fat
10 ounces cube steak, halved
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried garlic flakes
1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
2 teaspoons avocado oil
The key to a great cube steak is to do the following:
- Take some aggression out on your meat with the dull edge of a cleaver to tenderize it. You want to tenderize in one direction and then turn the meat 90 degrees to do it again. Flip and repeat.
- Remove the cube steak from the fridge 20-30 minutes before cooking. Very cold meat seizes up in a hot pan and can become tougher.
- Pat your meat dry with paper towels. You want no moisture on your meat so that a great crust can form while it cooks.
- Add all spices into a bowl and using the edge of a spoon, grind spices into a medium-fine consistency.
- Really press the seasoning into the groves of the meat on all sides created by the tenderizing process. This seals in delicious flavor and helps make the crust great.
Heat a pan over high heat. Add avocado oil. Gently place cube steaks into the pan and allow to sear on high for two minutes. Once a golden crust has formed, flip over and sear an additional two minutes.
Brown-Sugar Sweet Potatoes
Makes 3 servings | 1 starch, ½ dairy
1 medium sweet potato
2 teaspoons Stevia Brown Sugar blend
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
¼ cup plain unsweetened yogurt (per each serving)
Preheat the oven to 420°F. Wash sweet potato and make several stab marks using a knife. This allows the air to vent while it cooks. Wrap in tin foil completely and allow to bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until soft. Cooking times can vary based on your specific oven settings. Remove sweet potato from the oven and slice in half lengthwise. Sprinkle Stevia brown sugar blend over the top along with cinnamon and nutmeg. Turn the oven to broil and place underneath the heat until brown sugar is bubbling. Remove from the oven. Measure out a serving and add a dollop of yogurt over the top.
Pair with your favorite vegetable for a wonderful healthy meal that feels more like an indulgence. Who said weight loss means boring food? In fact, losing weight means you get to eat so many wonderful things!