Fresh cut veggies, crisp lettuce, perfectly grilled protein… there’s nothing quite like a delicious salad, especially when it can be made with a homemade dressing! One of the biggest benefits of making your own dressings and marinades is that you know exactly what it contains. There’s no guessing game on hidden ingredients, or sneaky sodium – things that can take a toll on your weight loss progress!
I always suggest making dressings and marinades in large batches to be used in other recipes throughout the week.
Zesty Salad Dressing Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 orange, juiced (about 1/2 cup of the fresh juice)
- 1 lime, zest removed and juiced (about 2 teaspoons of juice)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Bragg® Liquid Aminos
Whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, lime zest, honey and Bragg Liquid Aminos in a small saucepan. Heat pan over high heat, bringing dressing to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until dressing is reduced by half. You should have 1/3 to 1/2 cup total. Chill until ready to use.
NOTE: If you are left with additional dressing after enjoying your meal, reserve it for a future salad or try one of the following to round out another meal:
- Mix into steamed brown rice with additional cilantro and minced chives
- Grill asparagus or 1/4-inch thick slices of zucchini and summer squash, brushing with the dressing as you cook
- Place fresh peach halves on the grill, brushing the cut sides of the peach with the dressing
- Drizzle a spoonful over cooked chicken and vegetables before adding mayo for a flavorful chicken salad.
You’ll probably find even more uses for this sweet-tangy citrus dressing – be sure to share your ideas!