You’ve already got all the tools you need to achieve your ideal weight with the SlimGenics program. But there is one very important tool that is often neglected and underappreciated…the food journal! A recent study suggests that food journaling can help you lose double the weight! Isn’t that reason enough to fill it out at every meal? If not, to help your SlimGenics plan work even better, but to help loose the weight faster.
Studies show that people who keep food journals lose more weight and keep more of that weight off in the long run. The National Weight Control Registry–an ongoing research project tracking more than 6,000 people who’ve lost an average of 66 pounds and kept it off for five years–found that keeping a food journal is the one strategy used by the majority of successful dieters. In another study of 1,685 dieters, the best predictor of weight loss throughout the first year was the number of food records kept per week. A recent study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine found that dieters who tracked their food intake in a “food diary” lost twice as much weight as those who didn’t track their food.
Yes, it takes time to fill out a food journal, but it can be vital for self-assessment and monitoring. The food journal plays a key role in any weight loss plan. It gives you a proven, fighting chance. If you’re not using a food journal, try it out for a few days and see how it can make you better choices.
Why keep a food journal?
• An accurate food journal helps us see eating patterns, giving us insight into when and why we eat. Our meal timings and meal ratios are crucial for excellent weight loss.
• Tracking the food we consume forces us to take responsibility for our food choices. It shows what we’re really eating.
• Monitoring what we eat helps us stay on plan, so we can make adjustments.
• Journaling during challenging times to your plan is especially useful. Although you may feel guilty, this is the best time to stick with journaling and get back to basics.
Other possible things to jot down include:
• When and where you eat: time of day, how long you were eating, if you ate in a fast-food restaurant or the company cafeteria, etc.
• Who you were with and any other activity you were involved in; were you reading or watching TV, or having brunch with your best friend?
• Your mood while eating: Were you bored, frustrated, happy? This may tell you whether you engage in emotional eating—eating triggered by mood, not hunger.
• Any exercise you did, including the activity, length and intensity, and whether it was before or after eating.
• Any special categories for which you want to monitor consumption, such as carbohydrates, fat or fiber content.
If you want to double your weight loss and get to your goal faster and easier, use your SlimGenics Food Journal, whether it’s the paper version or the iPhone app.
Couple this with our other amazing food diary ideas and you’ve got nothing to lose but even more weight! See other weight loss tips from SlimGenics.