Chef John prepared a few special recipes when he came out to the SlimGenics Kitchen at the Denver Urban Gardens to host a healthy cooking class for SlimGenics Clients and LiveWell Colorado Moms, and now you can try them too! Make sure to check out his collection of cooking class recipes for deliciously fresh ideas!
Vegetarian Roulade Sandwich Recipe
- 2 soft flatbread sheets (each portion-sized piece should be 15g carbohydrates or less)
- 1 quart hummus with roasted red peppers
- 1 bag fresh spinach or Romaine leaves
- 3 tomatoes, sliced in ¼-inch pieces
- 1 pint button mushrooms, sliced in 1/8-inch pieces
- 1 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 pint alfalfa sprouts
Prepare the hummus.
Rinse vegetables, and place all ingredients into separate containers for easy assembly.
Place the flatbread sheets on a flat surface, spreading 1 cup of hummus on each (be sure to leave an inch on the far edge to allow for overflow when rolling).
Arrange spinach leaves over hummus. Across the middle 1/3 of the flatbread, layer the tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots and alfalfa sprouts.
To roll, grasp the long edge with both hands, tucking the vegetables in as you roll. Trim excess vegetables and slice into 1-inch pieces.
Serve with stone-ground mustard or creamy garlic dressing.
Serves 4–6 guests.